This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Monday, June 22, 2009

I Was supposed to make a wicked cool cake today. Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake


That didn't happen. I did make a cake, but not the one intended.

Today is my son's 14th birthday. I was supposed to make a really neat cake with a watchtower and dead trees from the video game Oblivion. I had it all planned out.

As all things in life, somethings don't go as planned. To see the events that transpired feel free to visit my main blog, but it runs quickly like this.

My son got a cell phone a few months ago as an early birthday and grad gift. He wiped out last week and killed his phone. Can't be mad at that, it was a complete accident and I was more concerned about his injuries. We gave him our other son's old phone and reactivated it under his number. He was disappointed he broke his phone but happy to have anything even though it wasn't as fancy or anything.

Last night he lost his phone. It fell out of his pocket at the theatre where my daughter was performing. He was beside himself but also knew he was on the hook for this one. Today we were going into his birthday with no present and no phone!!!

I called security and the box office this morning and his phone was turned in. The twisted side of me decided it would be funny to switch the Oblivion cake to a cell phone cake. Being the big meanie that I am I quickly whipped together a cell phone design...piped in Don't Break Me, Don't Lose Me, on the sides. It was funny. So instead of this really cool cake I planned we got a mediocre cell phone. It may look mediocre but dang it's good!!

My grandmother used to make this recipe and said it was from the depression when eggs and milk were at shortage. (Why mayonnaisse was available with an egg shortage is still a mystery to me). This is a delightfully moist flavourful cake however and it was one of my favorites growing up. Easy peasy to make.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
4 tbsp sifted cocoa

2 tsp soda
1 cup cold water
1 cup mayonnaise (or salad drsg) (I use 1/2 the fat Hellmans and it still works great)
1 tsp vanilla

1. Cream mayo, sugar, water & vanilla together.
2. In a separate bowl, sift flour, cocoa and baking soda.
3. Gradually add mayonnaise mixture to flour mixture.
4. Beat well.
5. Pour into a greased 8” or 9” square cake pan.
6. Bake at 350F for 45 to 50 minutes.


Ice with a regular buttercream icing. The cake is not too sweet and a dense moist delight. I used marshmallow fondant for the numbers and screen. It's a simple cake but I was under the gun so not as well planned as others.
By the way...my son was delighted when he unwrapped his new old phone after I retreived it from the box office this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...