This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Nunsfarts AKA Pet de Soeurs

My grandma passed away without passing on the secret to nun's farts.  This is a traditional Canadian treat with a rather interesting name.  There are lots of references to how they got their name, but one is not quite sure how the name really came about.  I always just thought it was cute and funny, and even my Catholic school Sister nun's had a sense of humour about them.

I have tried to figure them out.  They are really quite simple, but today I failed miserably. Given I have said I will even post my failures here they are. They taste amazing but look well...awful.  I took a pic of the best of the lot, but most of them have pretty much fallen apart.

This is the best of the bunch.  They do/did taste really good though.  Since they have all disappeared I figure looks can be deceiving.  I will figure this out at some point though.


I have always made these with premade pie dough, and I've been trying to make my own pie dough for the first time this year.  I made a couple of good batches of pie dough.  This one was not quite up to snuff which may have made the difference.

I'm pretty sure my kids are going to be totally devasted by the fact that we'll have to eat them vs. giving them away.  LOL.

I have zero measurements for this but maybe if someone has them they can send them to me and I'll credit you with an actual real recipe.

This is how I make them.  Roll out Pie dough to 1/4 inch thick.  Spread out a couple tablespoons of soft butter, sprinkle generously with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Roll it up, cut into 1 inch sections and transfer to a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.   Let cool on the cookie sheet for about 3 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.

They taste divine.  Although I blew this batch, (and the last one), I will keep trying.

4 comments:

  1. That's the way Mom makes them too. They always look like your's do, but they taste great anyways. They don't have to look pretty, they just have to taste great. And they do. Good Luck on the next batch.
    ps Mom always makes her own dough, she says it's cheating when you used premade dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for a really basic dough recipe try one of mark bitman's from how to cook everything. This is my number one go to reference book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to let you "younger" people in on what our family called "Nuns Farts" Now, I am much, much older than you are, in fact Jay and our son played baseball together, but these are treats that I have made for 40 years, and that I ate for many years prior to marrying and started out on my own cook's quest. Try using all the same steps as you describe, but do not cut them. Bake the rolls whole, let cool, and then slice with a very sharp knife. You may find, as I did years ago, that you can produce much more even looking "Pets de Soeurs" that way. And, yes, the correct term, as far as I know, is "Pets de Soeur", or translated literally, "Nuns Farts" The truely shocking revelation in our family was that our sainted Grandmother - a true French Canadian Mamere - even knew the term, let alone used it! All the best to you and Jay and your beautiful daughters, and also our kind regards to his lovely mother. Sandra Donnelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Sandra for the advice!! Thank you as well for taking the time to write such a lovely comment.

    I will definately try that next time. I'll pass on the note to Gisele and Jay and the whole clan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...